Age Co home insurance review
Who is Age Co?
A branch of UK charity, Age UK, Age Co offer a range of financial products aimed at people over the age of 50. Age UK home insurance was rebranded to Age Co in 2018.
From house insurance for over 70s to over 50s car insurance policies, Age Co offers a variety of insurance policies, as well as breakdown cover, funeral plans and an equity release advice service.
Home insurance packages – what they have to offer
Age Co’s home insurance product is rated 5 stars by Defaqto, offering the three core levels of home cover: buildings insurance, contents insurance and combined buildings and contents insurance.
When switching your home insurance policy to Age Co, you will be refunded any cancellation fees charged by your previous insurer (up to £55).
Age Co buildings insurance
Age Co’s over 50s buildings insurance policy is designed to protect the foundations of your home. It is intended to cover the cost of repairing damage to the building itself as well as any fixtures and fittings (like a fitted kitchen or bathroom). It will also protect you in the worst-case scenario that your home requires a complete rebuild.
AgeCo’s over 50s buildings insurance covers:
- Fixtures and fittings
- Garden walls
- Outbuildings (sheds, garages, etc.)
- Paths, patios and drives
- Rebuilding costs (up to £500,000)
With buildings insurance, your personal belongings are not covered – the protection provided is solely for the building itself.
AgeCo buildings insurance does not provide cover for any malicious damage caused by you or a family member or any damage caused by domestic animals – your insurance is also void if your property is deemed ‘unoccupied’.
When getting buildings insurance with Age Co, be sure to check and understand the terms and conditions of your policy so that you know exactly what you're covered for.
Age Co contents insurance
Unlike buildings insurance, contents insurance is designed to protect the possessions held within your home. If your property is damaged or broken into, your belongings will be covered against both damage and theft – as a rule of thumb, the ‘contents’ covered by contents insurance is whatever you’d take with you when moving home.
- Furniture (sofas, wardrobes, beds, etc.)
- Entertainment (TVs, games consoles, etc.)
- Kitchenware (cutlery, crockery, microwaves, etc.)
- Soft furnishings (bedding, cushions, mattresses, etc.)
- Credit/debit cards & cash
- Food in your freezer
Age Co’s over 50s contents insurance also provides funding for alternative accommodation if your home cannot be lived in for a period of time, as well as cover for accidental damage at an extra cost.
Basic contents insurance covers up to £60,000, while increased cover of £100,000 is also available (subject to terms and conditions).
Age Co contents insurance doesn’t cover damage caused by wear and tear or mechanical breakdown, while damage to laptops, hand-held technology and musical instruments is also excluded.
It is important you understand exactly what you are covered for when getting a contents insurance policy, so ensure you check with Age Co before agreeing to it.
Age Co house and contents insurance for seniors
As perhaps expected, Age Co’s over 50s buildings and contents insurance combines the two levels of cover to provide one comprehensive home insurance policy.
For example, if your house is affected by flood damage, you will be covered for both the damage done to the property itself as well as any affected contents – this is the recommended cover for all homeowners.
Age Co buildings and contents insurance includes cover against:
- Fire, lightning, explosions and earthquakes
- Impact from a vehicle or animal
- Malicious damage
- Oil/water leaks
- Theft/attempted theft
- Falling trees, lamp posts, etc.
While an Age Co home and contents insurance policy offers comprehensive cover, you can purchase various optional extras to increase your level of cover on any Age Co home insurance policy.
These optional extras include:
- Accidental damage – to both buildings and contents, up to the maximum claims limit displayed on your policy.
- Unspecified personal belongings – such as bicycles, wheelchairs and other personal belongings taken outside the home (limited to between £1,000 and £5,000).
- Specified personal belongings – for expensive items that you have specifically listed in your policy.
- Static caravan – up to £35,000 for the caravan and £2,500 for equipment.
- Touring caravan – up to £25,000 for the caravan and £2,500 for equipment.
- Home emergency – includes things like heating/boiler failure and the removal of wasp nests, mice or rats.
- Personal legal protection – up to £100,000 towards legal action for everything from employment disputes to personal injury and clinical negligence.
Age Co home insurance exclusions
As is the case with any type of home insurance policy, there are a few exclusions to an Age Co policy.
Some of the significant exclusions include
- Loss/damage caused by the weight of snow
- Theft/attempted theft when part of your home is occupied by somebody outside of your family (unless damage was caused upon entry)
- Loss or damage to gates/fences caused by flooding
- Property that is covered by another policy
- Any criminal/malicious act by you or a member of your family
- Loss or damaged caused by wear and tear/lack of maintenance
How much does Age Co home insurance cost? – Finding the cheapest home insurance
You might be wondering: ‘how can I get cheap home insurance?’ Well, home insurance prices can vary from property-to-property, but the average cost of a home and contents insurance policy in the UK is around £160.
When calculating your individual policy, companies like Age Co will take into consideration:
- The size of the property
- The type of property
- Whether or not the property is ‘listed’
- Your address
- Your claims history
- Your excess
- Your home security
The best way to find out exactly how much you can expect to pay for home insurance is by getting a free quote with Age Co; there’s no obligation to buy and it takes just a matter of minutes.
Age Co home insurance: The pros and cons
- Loss or theft of keys is covered as standard
- Protection against damage to items in your garden
- 24-hour emergency helpline
- Cover for up to £1,000 for money in the home
- Refunded cancellation fee from previous provider (up to £55)
- Sewer pipe blockage not covered
- £600 limit for contents outside the home
Age Co home insurance FAQs
Customer experience – Age Co home insurance reviews
Existing Age Co customers have left hundreds of reviews on review websites like Feefo, which can be used to assess the quality of service they provide.
Customers on Feefo rated Age Co’s home insurance an average 4.5/5, with the vast majority of customers giving them an impressive 5 star rating.
69% of customers rated Age Co’s insurance services with the highest possible 5-star rating, with individual reviews expressing delight at how efficiently their home insurance claims were handled, the quality of service provided and the competitive pricing on offer.
As can be expected, there were also some negative reviews, mostly in relation to the service received over the phone and people finding the online application form difficult to navigate.
Home insurance with Age Co
If you’re looking to renew your home insurance policy and looking for a great deal, then Age Co might be right up your street!
To get a free home insurance quote with Age Co, click the green button below.