Aviva breakdown cover review
Who is Aviva?
Aviva is a multinational insurance company with over 30 million customers across 16 different countries – it is the largest general insurer in the UK and was founded in 2000.
All of their emergency breakdown cover policies are provided by the RAC.
Breakdown insurance packages – what they offer
All of Aviva’s breakdown cover policies come with the option of having personal or vehicle cover, meaning that they can be applied to you, in any car or a vehicle, with any driver.
Aviva European breakdown cover is also available as an optional extra to all of their policies. Their breakdown cover is available for individual, sole trader and company purposes with tailored policies to suit your needs.
For more information about their sole trader and company cover, visit the Aviva website or call 0800 092 9561.
Rescue Breakdown Cover
- Roadside assistance – A mechanic will be sent to your location to fix your car (or caravan/trailer) at roadside.
- Local recovery – If the mechanic cannot get your vehicle back on the road, a recovery vehicle will take you, your passengers and your vehicle to a location within 10 miles of the breakdown.
- Taxi fare – If you choose to be taken to a local garage, you and up to 7 passengers will be reimbursed for a taxi fare of up to 20 miles from the garage.
Recovery Breakdown Cover
For when you need to be taken a few extra miles, vehicle recovery will allow you to be recovered to anywhere within the UK.
- Roadside assistance - as above.
- National recovery – as above.
- Compassionate relay assistance – If you become medically unfit to drive during a journey, and there is no other registered driver in the vehicle, compassionate relay assistance is provided at the AA’s discretion.
Rescue, Recovery & At Home Breakdown Cover
Helpful for those frosty mornings where you can’t get your car going, home start breakdown cover covers you for breakdowns that occur within a quarter-of-a-mile of your home address.
- Roadside assistance
- National recovery
- Compassionate relay assistance - Recovery if the driver becomes ill.
- Home start – Assistance when you are at, or within a quarter-of-a-mile of, your home address.
Rescue, Recovery, At Home & Onward Travel Breakdown Cover
This is Aviva’s most comprehensive policy, and offers all of the benefits that the above ones offer as well as helping you to continue your journey.
It includes all of the aforementioned policies – roadside assistance, national recovery, compassionate relay assistance and home start - with the added coverage of onward travel.
Onward travel involves being able to get a replacement vehicle, overnight accommodation or reimbursed public transport costs will be offered if your vehicle is in for repair following a breakdown.
Aviva members are entitled to a range of discounts, offers and other benefits. These include:
- Up to 25% off at a range of leading health and fitness clubs around the UK – to find your local club where discount is accepted, visit Aviva online and enter your postcode.
- Potential discounts on other Aviva products such as home or travel insurance.
Aviva breakdown cover cost
The cost of Aviva’s breakdown cover is not available online as their policies are individually tailored to you. The cost of your cover will depend on:
- The type of policy (vehicle, personal or joint)
- The level of cover
- Your address
- Your vehicle, its age, its mileage and how often it has broken down in the last 12 months
To get a breakdown cover quote tailored to your needs, visit the Aviva website.
The pros and cons of using Aviva
- Cover provided by a reputable recover service (RAC)
- 5 different policies to suit your needs
- Personalised quotes
- Helpful chatbot on their website
- Lack of optional extras available
- No option to cover the cost of replacement parts if they’re needed – these must be paid for yourself at the time of the breakdown.
Aviva Smartphone App
The Aviva smartphone app – MyAviva – can be used to manage your policies held with them.
- Good reviews on both iOS and Android
- Regularly updated with bug fixes and patches
- View your cover, policy documents and renewal dates
- Gain access to existing customer offers
- Not tailored to emergency breakdown cover - can't be used to contact your provider
- No use of GPS to allow recover services to access your location
Aviva have another smartphone app (Aviva Drive, for Aviva Car Insurance) which is for those who have taken out a telematics car insurance policy with Aviva. This can also be used as an Aviva dash cam, to help your case in any future claims.
Customer reviews placed on certified sites such as Trustpilot give a good representation of the level of service that you can expect from your breakdown provider.
Note that, as Aviva offer a wide range of services, some of these reviews include customers who have taken out insurance or hold their pension with Aviva. This means that not all reviews will reflect fairly on their breakdown cover.
From around 1,000 reviews on Trustpilot, Aviva average 1 star ratings. 81% of customers rated Aviva’s service as ‘bad’.
Some recent negative reviews have been made by customers who have been left displeased with the level of customer service received, while many complain of slow response times after making a claim.
The positive reviews speak kindly of Aviva’s ‘easy-to-use website’, range of available policies and competitive prices.
It is important to remember that all breakdown cover providers are likely to encounter issues from time to time, so it is better to look at average ratings than individual ones.
Ratings (out of 5):
- 5 star for: Rescue, Recovery, At Home & Onward Travel Breakdown Cover
- 4 star for: Rescue & Recovery Breakdown Cover and Rescue, Recovery & At Home Breakdown Cover
- 3 star for: Rescue Breakdown Cover.
Auto Express ranks Aviva as 19th best breakdown cover in the UK for 2018.
If you have a membership with Which? you’ll be able to read more customer reviews there.
Contacting Aviva if you've broken down
If you break down and are covered by Aviva, there are a few phone numbers you can reach them on:
- UK: 08000 155 755
- The Republic of Ireland: 1800 535 005
- France & Monaco: 0800 290 112
- Belarus or Russia: 810 33 472 43 52 55
- Anywhere else: 00 33 472 43 52 55
If you’re still undecided after reading our Aviva breakdown cover review, have a look at our other breakdown cover reviews here.