Aviva breakdown cover review
Cover provided by the RAC
Various policies available for different needs
Helpful chatbot on website
App lets you view your policy and renewal dates, and gain access to offers
Aviva is a multinational insurance company with over 30 million customers across 16 different countries – it is the largest general insurer in the UK and was founded in 2000.
All of their emergency breakdown cover policies are provided by the RAC.
All of Aviva’s breakdown cover policies come with the option of having personal or vehicle cover, meaning that they can be applied to you, in any car or a vehicle, with any driver.
Aviva European breakdown cover is also available as an optional extra to all of their policies. Their breakdown cover is available for individual, sole trader and company purposes with tailored policies to suit your needs.
For more information about their sole trader and company cover, visit the Aviva website or call 0800 092 9561.
Rescue Breakdown Cover
- Roadside assistance – A mechanic will be sent to your location to fix your car (or caravan/trailer) at roadside.
- Local recovery – If the mechanic cannot get your vehicle back on the road, a recovery vehicle will take you, your passengers and your vehicle to a location within 10 miles of the breakdown.
- Taxi fare – If you choose to be taken to a local garage, you and up to 7 passengers will be reimbursed for a taxi fare of up to 20 miles from the garage.
Recovery Breakdown Cover
For when you need to be taken a few extra miles, vehicle recovery will allow you to be recovered to anywhere within the UK.
- Roadside assistance - as above.
- National recovery – as above.
- Compassionate relay assistance – If you become medically unfit to drive during a journey, and there is no other registered driver in the vehicle, compassionate relay assistance is provided at the AA’s discretion.
Rescue, Recovery & At Home Breakdown Cover
Helpful for those frosty mornings where you can’t get your car going, home start breakdown cover covers you for breakdowns that occur within a quarter-of-a-mile of your home address.
- Roadside assistance
- National recovery
- Compassionate relay assistance - Recovery if the driver becomes ill.
- Home start – Assistance when you are at, or within a quarter-of-a-mile of, your home address.
Rescue, Recovery, At Home & Onward Travel Breakdown Cover
This is Aviva’s most comprehensive policy, and offers all of the benefits that the above ones offer as well as helping you to continue your journey.
It includes all of the aforementioned policies – roadside assistance, national recovery, compassionate relay assistance and home start - with the added coverage of onward travel.
Onward travel involves being able to get a replacement vehicle, overnight accommodation or reimbursed public transport costs will be offered if your vehicle is in for repair following a breakdown.
Aviva members are entitled to a range of discounts, offers and other benefits. These include:
- Up to 25% off at a range of leading health and fitness clubs around the UK – to find your local club where discount is accepted, visit Aviva online and enter your postcode.
- Potential discounts on other Aviva products such as home or travel insurance.
The cost of Aviva’s breakdown cover is not available online as their policies are individually tailored to you. The cost of your cover will depend on:
- The type of policy (vehicle, personal or joint)
- The level of cover
- Your address
- Your vehicle, its age, its mileage and how often it has broken down in the last 12 months
To get a breakdown cover quote tailored to your needs, visit the Aviva website.
- Cover provided by a reputable recover service (RAC)
- 5 different policies to suit your needs
- Personalised quotes
- Helpful chatbot on their website
- Lack of optional extras available
- No option to cover the cost of replacement parts if they’re needed – these must be paid for yourself at the time of the breakdown.
The Aviva smartphone app – MyAviva – can be used to manage your policies held with them.
- Good reviews on both iOS and Android
- Regularly updated with bug fixes and patches
- View your cover, policy documents and renewal dates
- Gain access to existing customer offers
- Not tailored to emergency breakdown cover - can't be used to contact your provider
- No use of GPS to allow recover services to access your location
Aviva have another smartphone app (Aviva Drive, for Aviva Car Insurance) which is for those who have taken out a telematics car insurance policy with Aviva. This can also be used as an Aviva dash cam, to help your case in any future claims.
When does my emergency breakdown cover start?
Your Aviva breakdown cover starts as soon as your payment is processed. However, you will only be offered roadside assistance for the first 24 hours of your policy. Any additional services needed within this period will be charged at a minimum of £75.
Is Aviva breakdown cover good?
Aviva’s breakdown cover is provided by the RAC, who will aim to get to you within 60 minutes of your original call. On average, the RAC repairs vehicles within 37 minutes at roadside and offers assistance 24/7, 365 days a year.
What is my Aviva policy number?
Your Aviva policy number can be found on your policy documents, statements or any emails or letters that you have been sent by Aviva. It might also be referenced on your bank statement. It could also be called a plan number, member number or reference number.
This number will be required over the phone in the event of a breakdown, along with your exact location and the registration, make and model of your vehicle. For motorway recovery, try to use an emergency phone on the side of the road as this can provide a specific location.
Can I pay monthly for Aviva breakdown cover?
Some policies offer the option to pay via direct debit on a monthly or quarterly basis.
My Aviva activation code isn’t working
If you’re having problems with your Aviva activation code, you might already be registered. Try selecting ‘Forgotten Username’ or ‘Forgotten Password’.
If you receive an on-screen error, contact Aviva on 0800 404 7198.
Will my Aviva breakdown cover policy automatically renew?
If you pay for your breakdown cover policy via direct debit, you will receive a notice informing you that your policy will be automatically renewed unless you:
Tell them otherwise, or
Hold a policy which is no longer available to purchase via direct debit.
Renewal prices will likely be different to what you are already paying, so be sure to contact your provider to discuss any changes.
What is my Aviva login?
To login to the MyAviva app, you will need the email address and password that you provided when you first registered for an Aviva policy.
Customer reviews placed on certified sites such as Trustpilot give a good representation of the level of service that you can expect from your breakdown provider.
Note that, as Aviva offer a wide range of services, some of these reviews include customers who have taken out insurance or hold their pension with Aviva. This means that not all reviews will reflect fairly on their breakdown cover.
From around 1,000 reviews on Trustpilot, Aviva average 1 star ratings. 81% of customers rated Aviva’s service as ‘bad’.
Some recent negative reviews have been made by customers who have been left displeased with the level of customer service received, while many complain of slow response times after making a claim.
The positive reviews speak kindly of Aviva’s ‘easy-to-use website’, range of available policies and competitive prices.
It is important to remember that all breakdown cover providers are likely to encounter issues from time to time, so it is better to look at average ratings than individual ones.
Ratings (out of 5):
- 5 star for: Rescue, Recovery, At Home & Onward Travel Breakdown Cover
- 4 star for: Rescue & Recovery Breakdown Cover and Rescue, Recovery & At Home Breakdown Cover
- 3 star for: Rescue Breakdown Cover.
Auto Express ranks Aviva as 19th best breakdown cover in the UK for 2018.
If you have a membership with Which? you’ll be able to read more customer reviews there.
If you break down and are covered by Aviva, there are a few phone numbers you can reach them on:
- UK: 08000 155 755
- The Republic of Ireland: 1800 535 005
- France & Monaco: 0800 290 112
- Belarus or Russia: 810 33 472 43 52 55
- Anywhere else: 00 33 472 43 52 55
If you’re still undecided after reading our Aviva breakdown cover review, have a look at our other breakdown cover reviews here.