10 best money saving apps – What is the best app for saving money?
The vast majority – over two thirds of us - now own a smartphone in the UK.
Using a phone for just phone calls is now a thing of the past – we use them for all sorts of things, to book tickets, watch TV and check travel timetables. We download apps to monitor our workouts, play games and check news headlines – so why not use it for your money management too?
Most banks have mobile apps meaning you can check you balance and make transactions as you go, but there are more and more apps becoming available that can save you money too.
Below we have pulled together some of our favourite UK money-saving apps...
Money Dashboard is arguably the best personal finance app in the UK, acting as an assistant that shows you exactly where your money goes and how you could make better financial decisions.
- Secure sign up
- Pulls together all your financial accounts – bank and credit
- Set saving goals
- Spending is categorised so you can see at a glance where you can cut back
TopCashback & Quidco
As money saving apps for shipping go, these two are up there with the best of them! You can earn cashback on your online purchases, as well as in-store and high-street shopping with cashback apps like TopCashback and Quidco.
- Receive cashback on your everyday purchases online
- Deals available to switch energy suppliers
- Register your card and earn cashback when you shop in store
Learn more: What are the best cashback sites?
COST: FREE (Only when you reserve a space)
JustPark allows drivers to find the closest parking to their destination, tells them how much it will cost and whether the space is available, which means no more driving around looking for parking, wasting fuel and paying extortionate prices!
- Locate free parking in your current location
- Great if you travel a lot and struggle to find cheap parking
- Pay for and reserve your parking space through the JustPark app
VoucherCodes.co.uk is a leading UK savings destination, bringing together the best voucher codes, restaurant vouchers, printable vouchers, deals and sales for thousands of leading online and high street stores to help save you money every time you shop.
- Constantly adding deals from the biggest retailers and restaurants
- Deals online and in-store
- Has a handy “nearby” function so you can see what deals are on near you
Moneybox is a money management app which connects to your bank account, rounding up all of your purchases to the nearest pound and investing that money into your choice of ‘cautious’, ‘balanced’ or ‘adventurous’ projects.
- Save money seamlessly by rounding up everyday purchases
- Take early steps into investing with the Moneybox app
- Connects to most UK banks with ease
- Money is protected by the FSCS
More of a money-making app than a money-saving one, MusicMagpie is a great way to get cash for your unwanted stuff – CDs, DVDs, Games, Books and Tech. Use the app to scan your stuff and send it in to get paid for things you don’t want or need any more.
- Send your items in for free
- Get paid the same day they receive your items
How does Music Magpie work? - How to sell on Music Magpie
To start selling on Music Magpie, simply enter the barcode of the items you wish to sell onto the Music Magpie website (or scan them using the Music Magpie app). Once you’ve entered a minimum of £5 worth of stuff, you will be sent the information on how to ship your goods – this will be free of charge, using the freepost label that they send to you.
Many people ask: how can I get groceries for cheap? Well, this may just be the answer! mySupermarket is a new type of supermarket that allows you to compare prices and shop online from the main UK retailers in one place. Their aim is to help you save time and money while giving you the best possible online shopping experience.
- compare the price of thousands of grocery products from all the top supermarkets
- fill your shopping trolley then see which supermarket is the cheapest
Are money-saving apps safe?
Absolutely! All of the money management apps mentioned in this article are 100% safe to use.
Groupon, LivingSocial & Wowcher
Groupbuying websites like Groupon use the power of the crowd to get discounts on everything from holidays to oven cleaning services!
- Wide variety of deals from shopping to experiences
- Limited time offers at great prices due to the “bulkbuy” nature of the service
How does Groupon work?
Similar to cashback apps like Quidco, Groupon earns commission on every sale made through their website. Groupon discounts can range from anywhere between 40% and 90% but it must make a pre-agreed number of sales before earning any commission.
Stocard is an app which stores all of your store cards in a single app. You just scan the card and it will be added to your digital wallet. Then you present your phone when you shop, and the assistant scans it like a normal store card.
- Frees up wallet space
- No more “I left it at home” disappointments
While visiting a store, have you ever wanted to know what other people think of the product, or if it can be found at a better price nearby or on-line? We've got a solution for that: the PriceSpy app.
- Check the best prices for a product
- Check PriceSpy user reviews for a product
- See shops selling a certain product laid out on Google maps and get directions
Save more with Bobatoo
At Bobatoo, we are always looking for new ways to help you save money. Whether you’re looking for cheaper car insurance premiums or the best banks with cashback and switching incentives, you’re sure to find something of interest among our plethora of interesting blogs, articles and guides.