How to change your vehicle’s registered name and address details

vehicle on drive outside new address

June 4, 2021

If your name changes (for example, when you get married) or you move house, you’ll need to update the name and address details of your car and your vehicle logbook.

This change can be easy to overlook, particularly when moving home or arranging a wedding, but it's vital that your car registration details are kept up to date. Fortunately, the DVLA will issue you with an updated certificate free of charge, but only after you've submitted the change yourself

When you change address, you will need to update the address details on your driving licence within four weeks - this is relatively easy to do and you can continue driving while waiting for your new licence.

You can update your driver's licence online on the DVLA's website, or by posting your physical licence to them directly so that they send you a new one featuring your new address. You’ll also need to complete and send away the ‘changes’ section of the letter that came with your licence (known as letter D741). If you don’t have a copy of this letter, you can order one here.

Send both your driving license and a completed ‘changes’ section of letter D741 to:

SA99 1BN

Bear in mind, though, that you will also need to change the details on your vehicle logbook – this takes a little more effort, but by following our guide below, you shouldn’t face too many problems.

Vehicle Registration Certificate

As part of the European Directive 1999/37/EC, the UK (along with other members of the European Economic Area) is required to have all vehicles registered to an individual 'owner'.

Note: It is yet to be seen what impact Brexit will have on this, but we’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we find out.

As the owner or “keeper” of a car, you will be issued with an owner’s certificate containing the following information:

  • Vehicle registration number
  • Name and address of the vehicle owner
  • Vehicle ID number
  • Engine specification
  • Exhaust emissions

Your vehicle registration document is officially called a V5C, but is more commonly referred to as a “vehicle logbook”.

To change the name and address details associated with your car on your logbook, you’ll need to fill in the relevant form (found within your V5C) and send it to the DVLA for processing.

How to change address and name details on V5C

Go to Section 6 in your logbook and fill in the relevant name and address fields on the red form. Sign and date Section 8 and then post the whole log-book back to the DVLA at the following address:

SA99 1BN

Alternatively, if your road tax renewal is due in the next four weeks, you can take your V5C to the Post Office and update your name and/or address details at the same time as taxing your car.

Remember to take a photocopy of your MOT certificate along with you.

Your new V5C form with your updated details will be posted back to you within four weeks. Once it arrives, simply keep it safe within your vehicle logbook ready for any future changes. The DVLA ask you to allow 6 weeks for it to arrive before contacting them to chase it up.

Beware of stolen V5Cs

Previously, V5Cs were blue and were referred to as “blue forms” instead of red. In 2008, more than two million blue forms were stolen from the DVLA.

Subsequently, the DVLA revised and re-issued the forms.  They’re now clearer and more user-friendly; they’re also red to distinguish them from the older, potentially stolen, blue forms.

Blue forms may still be in circulation, being used to provide false identities for stolen cars. However, as of September 2012, the last of the legitimate blue forms expired, which means that all legitimate V5C forms should now be red.

You will also need to inform the DVLA of various other changes made to your vehicle, including:

  • Engine
  • Fuel type
  • Cylinder capacity
  • Chasis
  • Number of seats
  • Body shell
  • Colour

You'll just need to notify the DVLA in the same way as updating your name and address details.

What about personalised number plates?

Personalised number plates (also known as cherished number plates) are available for all vehicles that are registered in the UK – and the business for personalised plates is huge – one plate, reading simply ’25 0’, was sold for £400,000 in 2014.

Not all of them are that expensive, though, and motorists who can afford the costs of private plates get the chance to drive their vehicle(s) with a distinctive, often personal, new number plate.

Personalised registration plates can be purchased directly from the current owner of the plate, or you can buy them via DVLA plate auctions.

When you purchase a new personal number plate, you’ll need to tell the DVLA about it via what is known as a V750 certificate of entitlement and a V778 retention document.

You will also need to provide the vehicles V5C form and, if the vehicle is over three years old, an MOT test certificate.

You should also be aware that there are specific rules and regulations governing personalised plates. For instance, you cannot apply a personalised number plate to a vehicle in a bid to make it look newer than it actually is – make sure you are fully confident that your new personalised plate is legal for driving before splashing out for one.

Once you have applied to the DVLA with all the relevant documents, they may wish to inspect the vehicle before approving your plate. If not, then you should get your personalised plate approved within about two weeks.

Remember: If you have recently purchased a vehicle, you will have to wait until you receive an up-to-date V5C logbook through the post before changing your number plate.

Get a car insurance quote today

Looking for a great deal on your car insurance? Get a free, no obligation car insurance quote:

Get Quotes

More car insurance resources:

Learn more about cars and car insurance with our useful collection of guides and resources below

Car insurance guides

A guide to buying and selling private number plates

How to find out if your car has a factory fitted immobiliser

Can I cancel my car insurance?

What does third party and comprehensive insurance actually mean?

How to get proof of no claims discount

Fuel saving tips

What to do if you are hit by an uninsured driver

What to do if you put the wrong fuel in your car

Black box car insurance – what you need to know

MOT checklist

What does SORN mean?

What is Pass Plus and how to get it?

How to save money on car insurance as a young driver

What are the cheapest cars to insure?

Top 10 most economical cars to drive

Is my car insured?

Car insurance groups explained

How do car modifications affect insurance prices?

Everything you need to know about the provisional driving licence