What are the cheapest cars to insure?
There are many different factors that can influence the cost of your car insurance premiums – your age, your driving history and your geographical location, for instance, will all have an impact on how much you have to pay.
Of course, another key factor that determines car insurance premiums is the car itself. Insurers typically use an industry standard called Thatcham’s Group Rating Panel as a guide when quoting car insurance prices. The panel puts cars into insurance groups based on a number of different factors, including:
- Car performance – acceleration and top speed
- Car security features
- Cost of spare parts (based on 23 of the most common parts)
- Car maintenance – how long it takes to fix
- Car value (as new)
Using this rating guide, cars are placed in numerical groups – with group 1 vehicles typically attracting the lowest insurance premiums. See the full list of cars in insurance groups 1-20 here.
Below we’ve listed some of the cheapest popular cars to insure – if you want to save money on your car insurance get a quote from Bobatoo.co.uk here.
Cheap cars to insure
It may lack when it comes to raw performance, but in terms of cost and safety the Chevrolet Spark makes for a very economical insurance premium! It’s also quite roomy inside for a compact car, so it’s a great for towns and cities.
With a super-efficient engine delivering low fuel costs, the Fiat Panda is an attractive choice for anyone looking for a good value reliable car.
The Corsa is always a popular choice amongst UK drivers – and its low insurance costs certainly help, with all models since 2006 being placed in car insurance group 1.
Ford Fiesta / KA
The two least expensive Ford cars to insure are the ever-popular Fiesta and KA ranges, which are both in car insurance group 2.
As well as being economical to run and boasting very reasonable servicing costs, some deals for the Citroen C1 also offer a year’s free insurance to appeal to young and first-time car buyers.
This is just a small selection of cheaper cars to insure, and is not meant as an exhaustive list.
To find out more about saving money on your car insurance get a quote with Bobatoo.co.uk here.
- Am I Insured to Drive Other Cars?
- Cheapest Cars to Insure
- How to find out if your car has a factory-fitted immobiliser
- Car Insurance Prices Could Increase Due to a Software Update
- Could Covid-19 Cause More Motorists to Drive Uninsured?
- How to Save Money on Your Car Insurance During Covid-19
- 10 things you probably didn't know about car insurance
- 7 common mistakes that could invalidate your car insurance policy