How to check if your home is insured

Couple using laptop at table

If you bought your house years ago, you might be unsure as to whether you have valid home insurance or maybe you just can’t find your home insurance details, but fear not, as there are numerous ways you can check to see if your house is fully insured.

If you’re wondering “who is my home insurance with?”, in our guide below, you’ll be pleased to know that we take you through the steps you need to know to discover whether you have home insurance or not and how to get in touch with your insurance provider.

Is my house insured?

Sometimes it can be hard to tell whether your home has insurance, especially if it’s a property that you rent from a landlord as you won’t be in charge of buildings insurance, but you may want to take out contents insurance to ensure that all your belongings within your rental property are protected if there’s a fire or a break-in, for example.

On the other hand, if you own your own home, you will have likely taken out both buildings and contents insurance at some point, but you might not be sure what kind of policy you have or you might have lost your documents and details about your policy and therefore you won’t know when your insurance will have renewed.

If you bought your home, you will have almost certainly taken out buildings insurance as proof of this type of insurance is usually required by mortgage brokers when you apply for a mortgage. While it isn’t technically a legal requirement, it is highly recommended and advised to have, especially when going for a mortgage as it shows lenders that you’re responsible and prepared to take care of the house that you want to buy.

If you live in a rented property or flat, it will be your landlord’s responsibility to ensure that the property has buildings insurance and so you won’t have ever taken this kind of policy out when you signed your rental agreement. However, it’s actually not a legal requirement for a landlord to provide their rental property with buildings insurance, so you might want to check whether there’s a policy in place if you’re moving into a rented house or flat.

While you don’t need to worry about taking out buildings insurance as a renter, you may have taken out contents insurance when you first moved into the rental property to protect your own personal belongings.

How to find out if a property has insurance

Finding out whether you have home insurance on your property or not isn’t quite as simple as finding out whether a car is insured, for example.

If you’re not sure whether your vehicle is insured, you can simply check all the relevant details via the free Motor Insurance Database (MID) that holds information about every single car on the road. Unfortunately, there’s no such database that allows you to check whether a home is insured or not, however, there are still numerous ways to check whether you have a valid house insurance policy on your home.

Some of the steps you can take to find your home’s insurance policy documents include:

  • Call your insurance broker or financial adviser if you remember taking out a policy at some point, but you’re just not sure of all the relevant details of your policy.
  • Look through your bank statements or credit card statements to see if there is any evidence of payments being made to a home insurance company.
  • Check your emails to see if there is any correspondence with a home insurance provider.
  • Get in touch with your mortgage provider who should be able to provide details of your buildings insurance policy if you took one out when applying for a mortgage.
  • Contact the home insurance provider directly if you know you have a policy, but don’t have any of the details or documents about the policy.

Can I insure a house that is not in my name in the UK?

If you’re currently renting a property, for example, and you know that the landlord hasn’t taken out buildings insurance for the property that you’re living in, you might want to take matters into your own hands and insure it yourself.

Unfortunately, if the property isn’t in your name, you won’t be able to take out buildings insurance, only contents insurance. If you don’t own the building or property you’re living in, but you’re worried about it not being properly insured, you should contact your landlord to see why they don’t have buildings insurance in place and you could perhaps ask if they’re willing to take out cover for the property you’re living in.

How to find cheaper home insurance

Perhaps you’ve discovered that you do in fact have a home insurance policy in place but you’re not happy with the current policy if it’s too expensive or you’re not getting the cover you want. 

Or maybe you’re looking to buy your first home and want to ensure that you get a good home insurance policy that doesn’t cost a fortune. If that’s the case, there are several ways to find cheaper home insurance that still offers great cover.

  • Compare quotes from different home insurance providers by shopping around. Banks and mortgage lenders often recommend a home insurance provider that offers you cover, but these aren’t always the most affordable option. Instead, you’ll probably be able to find a much cheaper policy by simply doing the research yourself and comparing quotes from different providers.
  • Similarly to finding cheaper car insurance, consider increasing your voluntary excess on your home insurance policy so that your premiums are cheaper. However, you must ensure that you’ll be able to pay the voluntary excess if you need to make a claim.
  • Search for a home insurance policy that combines both buildings and contents insurance into one policy as these can often be cheaper than taking out two individual policies.

Home insurance is definitely an important protection policy to have. Whether you are checking up on your policy, looking for contents insurance, buildings insurance or other optional extras, Bobatoo can help you find great home insurance deals. Get an obligation-free quote by tapping the button below:

Get a Quote

Latest Posts