Direct Line car insurance review
Direct Line car insurance
Direct Line have been offering car insurance products for over 30 years, and now offer a range of policies.
As well as comprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft policies, they also offer multi-car insurance and black box car insurance policies.
Direct Line do not appear on car insurance comparison sites, so to get a quote you need to go direct to them. This means they don't pay commission when they sell a policy - giving them more freedom to offer not only better priced but better benefits.
Direct Line offer unique benefits to policyholders, such as protecting their no claims if they are hit whilst parked, which makes them an attractive option when looking for car insurance quotes.
Find out about what Direct Line offers, and whether their car insurance is any good or not, below...
See more: Direct Line van insurance review
Other car insurance reviews
Why choose Direct Line?
Direct Line offers a lot of unique benefits to its policyholders that are not available anywhere else.
- Fair claim commitment - keeps your no claims bonus in place if your car is hit whilst parked, damaged by potholes etc.
- Personal onward travel - transport to your destination is offered if your car is not driveable following an accident
- No admin fee
- Guaranteed hire car
Direct Line's 'fair claim commitment'
Perhaps the biggest reason to consider Direct Line for your car insurance, is the fact that they protect your no claims bonus against a wide range of accidents:
- Hit whilst parked
- Pothole damage
- Theft of the car, or personal belongings in the car
- Flood damage
- Damage caused by hitting a wild animal
- Hit by an object (not including other vehicles)
This means you can claim for things that were not your fault without losing your no claims bonus.
Direct Line offer both comprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft policies.
If you want to learn more about third party and comprehensive cover, read our guide: What does ‘third party’ and ‘comprehensive’ car insurance actually mean?
As well as the above benefits, a comprehensive policy from Direct Line comes with cover for medical expenses (up to £100) for anyone injured in an accident, and their uninsured driver promise - which means you get your excess paid back and your no claims bonus reinstated if the accident was the fault of an uninsured driver.
Direct Line multi-car insurance
If you have more than one car at the same address, you could save money with a Direct Line multi-car insurance policy.
The more cars you add to the policy, the bigger the discount you get.
Direct Line offer the following benefits to multi-car insurance policyholders:
- No Claim Discount (NCD): The other vehicles are protected if a claim is made on another vehicle on the policy. So if one has an accident and makes a claim, the NCD on the others won't be affected.
- Renewal date preserved: Every car you insure has its own policy start date and renewal date, so there's no need to worry about the expense of them all being renewed at the same time.
- View your discounts before purchasing: By adding one car at a time to your policy, you can keep an eye on the money you’ll be saving before purchasing.
- Register online: All policyholders can register their account and view their documents online.
Learn more about multi-car insurance.
Direct Line black box insurance
Direct Line have their own form of telematics - or 'black box'- insurance called DrivePlus.
They give you a small plug-in for your car which tracks your driving, in return you get potential discounts on your premiums.
New drivers get an upfront discount just for choosing DrivePlus - as long as they are under 25 and have passed their test.
DrivePlus comes with a free smartphone app so you can keep track of your driving performance and adapt to make sure you don't get charged too much each month.
Learn more about black box car insurance.