Getting Car Insurance for the First Time - A Complete Guide
Getting your first ever car, whether you’ve just passed your test at 17-years-old or at 47-years-old, is always such an exciting experience.
One thing that’s not quite as exciting as actually having the ability and freedom to drive, however, is paying for car insurance as a first-time driver.
New driver car insurance, regardless of your age, can be a pretty hefty cost, no matter what type of car you’ve got. If you’re wondering how much car insurance is for the first time or who is best for first time car insurance, then we’ve got just the guide for you!
Cheap car insurance for first time drivers
It’s fair to say that cheap first time car insurance is pretty hard to come by, if not practically impossible.
While it can be very frustrating to have to pay such a huge amount of money for car insurance as a first time driver, it is somewhat understandable as you’re deemed to be more ‘at risk’ due to a lack of driving experience. The older you get, the more driving experience you accumulate and the longer you go without making a claim on your car insurance policy, the cheaper your policy gets over time.
Average price for first time car insurance
According to Confused.com’s car insurance price index, first time drivers at 17-18 years old are paying more for their car insurance than any other age group.
The average price for first time car insurance for 18 year olds is a whopping £2,136 and regardless of how cheap or expensive your first car is, you can still expect to pay a substantial amount of money for your car insurance policy.
Having said this, it's always a good idea to compare quotes online with comparison sites to find the cheapest deal and compare premiums for different vehicles if you're looking to buy your first car.
You might like: 10 of the Cheapest Cars to Insure
Best car insurance for first time drivers
Whether you’re looking for cheap car insurance for first time drivers under 25 or cheap car insurance for first time drivers over 40, there are dozens of insurance providers that offer policies for first time drivers, but finding the best of the bunch can be a tricky and time-consuming process.
Thankfully, we’ve done most of the groundwork for you and discovered that for 2021, the best car insurance for first time drivers can be found at Direct Line, Churchill Car Insurance and Co-op - the first two are not on comparison sites, so you may wish to contact them directly to get a quote, in addition to comparing quote on comparison sites to see how good their deals really are.
Of course, these aren’t set in stone as the best insurers and you may find cheaper policies elsewhere; before committing to a car insurance policy, you should always shop around to find the best and most affordable option for you. To get a quote with Bobatoo, simply tap the button below to get started, obligation-free!
What is the cheapest way to insure a new driver?
There are three main types of car insurance to choose from including:
- Third-party only which only covers you against damage to other people, their cars and property.
- Third-party, fire and theft which covers the same as above, plus it covers your car if it's in a fire or gets stolen.
- Comprehensive cover (commonly known as fully comp) which provides the same cover as third-party only and third-party, fire and theft, but it also offers cover in the event that your car is damaged in an accident. This is the highest level of cover, but you may wish to add more cover onto your policy if your insurer offers it.
Read more: Car Insurance Extras Worth Having
There are several options available to new drivers when it comes to insuring their car as cheaply as possible.
- Consider opting for a telematics policy, more commonly known as black box car insurance. This type of policy can save you hundreds on the cost of your car insurance as a new driver as it tracks your habits of acceleration and braking in order to calculate how well you drive. The better you drive, the cheaper your car insurance will be.
- Add a responsible named driver to your policy such as your mum or dad as they can sometimes bring down the average risk associated with the cost of car insurance for new drivers.
- A study carried out by Money Saving Expert claimed that the best time to obtain the cheapest car insurance policy is by getting a quote 20 to 26 days before you want your policy to begin. This will, of course, differ depending on many other external factors, but it’s definitely worth looking into, to try and get cheaper car insurance as a new driver.
Why is insurance so expensive for new drivers?
Car insurance is so expensive for new drivers as they are considered to be more likely to be involved in car accidents than older drivers over the age of 25, for example.
Even though you’ve legally passed your test and are deemed safe to be driving on the roads, your lack of driving experience as a new motorist means that you’re probably more at risk to accidents and therefore, the cost of your car insurance policy will reflect that risk.
How can young drivers get cheaper car insurance?
- Pay annually if possible - if you pay monthly, you’ll have to pay interest on your payments, whereas paying an upfront cost annually will save you having to pay for the interest.
- Limit your mileage - while this is a fairly obvious way to reduce the cost of your car insurance (for everyone, not just for young drivers), it is one of the best as the less miles you drive, the less likely you’re deemed as being at risk to claim on your policy.
- Choose a car with a small engine - while you might have your heart set on a super fast, state-of-the-art model for your first car, chances are that you will be unable to afford not only the hefty cost of the car itself, but the extortionate price of car insurance that comes with it as well.
First time car insurance for new drivers is likely to cost you a pretty penny, but hopefully, you’ve discovered some new top tips on how to get car insurance as cheaply as possible when you’re starting out with your car as a new driver for the first time.
For more advice on car insurance and saving money, check out our handy guides below. And to get a car insurance quote, simply tap the button to start comparing.