Green Flag breakdown cover review
Green Flag's breakdown insurance packages
Green Flag offer an extensive range of breakdown insurance packages, ranging from basic roadside assistance to European recovery.
Their breakdown insurance is available as vehicle breakdown cover, personal breakdown cover, multi-vehicle breakdown cover and family breakdown cover.
Green Flag Rescue
Green Flag rescue is Green Flag’s core policy, offering the following benefits:
- Covers breakdowns in cars, vans, motorhomes or motorbikes.
- Roadside assistance – A mechanic will be sent to fix your vehicle at the roadside if you break down further than a quarter-of-a-mile away from home.
- Local recovery – If your car cannot be fixed at the side of the road, you, your vehicle and any passengers you have will be taken to a local Green Flag certified garage, no matter how far away that may be. You can also opt to be taken elsewhere, as long as it is either a) within 10 miles from the breakdown or b) no further than the nearest Green Flag certified garage.
- Next-day collection – If the garage is closed, Green Flag’s vehicle collection means that they will pick your vehicle up from your house the next day to take it to a garage.
- Pass the message – Green Flag will call anybody who you think needs to know that you have broken down, be that your spouse, your parents or your boss.
- Unlimited callouts with no callout charge
Green Flag Rescue Plus
With Green Flag Rescue Plus you are entitled to all of Green Flag’s core benefits that come under their ‘rescue’ policy, as well as the added bonus of home-start recovery.
Home start recovery gives you additional access to a mechanic and recovery service when you break down at, or within a quarter-of-a-mile of, your home address.
Green Flag Recovery
Similar to Green Flag Rescue, a Green Flag Recovery policy will provide you with assistance at roadside if you break down.
The difference is that this policy comes with national vehicle recovery, meaning that if your car cannot be fixed at roadside, you, your vehicle and any passengers will be taken to a destination in the UK of your choosing.
However, if the breakdown is caused by a flat or damaged tyre, you will be limited to 10 miles unless all local garages are closed.
Green Flag Recovery Plus
Green Flag Recovery Plus is the provider’s most popular policy as it offers absolutely everything they provide within the UK.
As well as being entitled to all of the aforementioned benefits, you will be able to make use of their ‘onward travel’ cover.
Onward travel can be useful for those who tend to venture far from home, as if your vehicle cannot be repaired on the day, you will be given the choice of a hire car, overnight accommodation or reimbursed public transport costs to continue your journey.
Note: Costs are limited up to £100 for a hire car or £500 (£150pp) for hotel accommodation.
Green Flag Euro Plus
Finally, Green Flag’s most comprehensive breakdown cover policy is EuroPlus.
This is their most expensive cover as it provides you with all of their breakdown cover services both in the UK and across Europe.
Some of the benefits differ slightly, with the covered costs of a hire car rising to £850 in Europe and hotel accommodation costs limited to £45 per person, per day up to a total value of £500.
Optional Extras: Personal Breakdown Cover and Multi-Car Breakdown Cover
Green Flag’s personal breakdown cover will cover you against any breakdowns that occur while you’re in an eligible vehicle, whether you’re the driver or the passenger.
This can be purchased as an optional extra to your vehicle breakdown cover at an estimated cost of £20/year, or £1.83/month.
Green Flag’s multi-car breakdown cover allows you to cover up to 3 additional vehicles on your policy, as long as they are all registered to the same address.
You can get a quote for multi-car breakdown cover for up to 2 vehicles on the Green Flag website, but you will need to call them on 0345 246 2766 to add any further vehicles.
Breakdown Cover for Business Vehicles
Whether you have a fleet of 2 motorbikes or 200 vans, Green Flag offer breakdown cover for business vehicles to suit your needs.
Like with their individual breakdown cover, they offer roadside assistance, national recovery and European options to their business breakdown cover, starting at £74 per vehicle.
To get a personalised quote on breakdown cover for business vehicles, visit the Green Flag website.
As well as offering an extensive range of emergency breakdown cover, Green Flag customers are entitled to a range of discounts from other insurance providers within the Direct Line Group. These include, but are not limited to:
The cost of Green Flag's breakdown cover
The cost of your breakdown cover policy can vary depending on your level of cover, vehicle and your address among other things.
This is a rough guide to the cost of Green Flag breakdown cover:
Green Flag Rescue Breakdown Cover
Vehicle breakdown cover from: £25 per year OR £2.92 per month
From: £40 per year OR £3.67 per month
Green Flag Recovery
From: £55 per year OR £5.42 per month
From: £60 per year OR £5.50 per month
Green Flag Euro Plus Breakdown Cover
From: £100 per year OR £9.17 per month
Optional Extra: Personal Cover
Cover yourself in any vehicle that you are able to legally drive in
From an additional: £20 per year OR £1.83 per month
Green Flag smartphone app
Green Flag’s smartphone app is one of the best in the business when it comes to breakdown cover.
- Breakdown – Connect to a Green Flag employee with the touch of a button in the event of a breakdown.
- Rescue Me – Allows Green Flag to pinpoint your exact location and track your technician when they are 20 minutes away.
- Alert Me – For an extra £35, Green Flag will send you a small device to easily plug into your car, allowing you to monitor your car’s battery and engine performance. If they see anything that doesn’t look right, they’ll inform you of what action you should take.
- Manage your account.
- Access all of your policy documentation.
Bobatoo struggled to find any cons for Green Flag's app!
Green Flag pros and cons
- Excellent smartphone app
- Wide range of policies available
- Competitive pricing
- Exclusive discounts on insurance
- Unlimited callouts
- Member benefits not as extensive as some other providers
For answers to more generic questions on breakdown cover, head over to our Breakdown Cover FAQs page here.
In order to get a fair and accurate representation of the service offered by Green Flag, we’ve scoured the internet for reviews left by customers on reputable review sites like Trustpilot.
From over 1,000 reviews on Trustpilot, Green Flag’s customers are fairly evenly split between ‘excellent’ and ‘bad’, averaging out as a mid-range 3-star rating.
A lot of happy customers have left positive remarks on Green Flag’s competitive pricing, suggesting they offer good value for money. There are also positive comments about their ‘easy-to-use website’ as well as their smartphone app.
However, some customers have left complaints about year-on-year price hikes despite not having made a claim, and many appear to have been left waiting a considerable amount of time to be recovered.
It is worth noting that all breakdown providers will sometimes experience issues with their service. Take a good look at the promises they make and weigh them up with both positive and negative reviews before making your decision.
Ratings (out of 5):
- 5 star for Recovery Plus
- 4 star for Recovery
- 3 star for Rescue and Rescue Plus
Their readers were particularly impressed by Green Flag’s prices and presentation of their recovery vehicles, but were let down by the level of service they received at the side of the road.
If you have a subscription to Which?, you’ll be able to see more in-depth reviews on Green Flag and other breakdown providers there.
What to do if you break down – how to contact them
If you happen to break down, contact Green Flag via:
- Phone: UK – 0800 400 600 Europe - +44 141 349 0516
- Text: Text ‘RESCUE’ to 61009 (Charged at standard rate)
- The Green Flag app
If you’re not sure whether Green Flag offer the service that you require, check out our other breakdown cover reviews here.