RAC van insurance review
Van insurance for under £195*
24/7 motoring legal helpline
Windscreen cover included on comprehensive policies
RAC van insurance products
As well as offering breakdown services to UK motorists, the RAC are also an increasingly popular choice for both car and van insurance.
Here we will take a close look at the RAC's van insurance offering, and you can read our full review of their car insurance here: RAC car insurance review
The RAC offers two levels of van insurance cover: Comprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft. Both of these come with £100,000 worth of legal cover and you can add optional extras to increase your cover level (more on these below).
The RAC also offers temporary van insurance between 1 and 28 days if you only need van insurance on a short-term basis.
RAC van insurance policy extras
Whether you choose a comprehensive van insurance policy or Third Party, Fire and Theft cover, RAC gives you the opportunity to extend your cover with a range of policy extras.
First of all, you can choose their 'Star Buy' option which bundles together their breakdown service, tools in transit cover and replacement van benefit for an extra £89.99 per year. That works out as a discount of £20.65 if you were to buy those extras separately, so if you need breakdown, tools in transit and replacement van cover this is a cost-effective option worth considering.
If you would prefer not to bundle them together, you can choose to buy them individually:
- Van breakdown cover - from £39.99 per year. Keep your van, and your business, on the road in the event of a breakdown. You can add the 'At Home' feature so if your van won't start in the morning you can still call out a mechanic.
- Tools in transit cover - from £49.99 per year. This provides up to £1,000 cover for your tools and other work equipment if they are damaged while in transit.
- Replacement van cover - from £20.66 per year. If your van is stolen or not roadworthy following an accident you will get a replacement van for either 15 or 28 days (depending on what level of cover you opt for).
RAC temporary van insurance
If you don't normally drive a van, but find yourself needing one for a short period of time, then RAC offer temporary van insurance.
This can cover you for 1 - 28 days, so is perfect for:
- Small businesses who only need a van for short periods
- Sole traders who likewise may only need to use a van every now and then
- Anyone who needs a van for domestic use e.g. moving house, moving to University, taking large items to the tip etc.
The benefits of choosing RAC for temporary van insurance include:
- Get comprehensive cover immediately
- Drive another van or insure extra drivers in your van
- Cover available for vans up to 3.5 tonnes
- Buy online 24/7
- Only pay for the days you need cover for
RAC's temporary van insurance is only available to drivers who have had a full driving licence for at least one year.
Learn more: Temporary van insurance
How much does RAC van insurance cost?
As with all van insurance companies, the amount you pay for a premium from RAC will depend on a host of different factors, including:
- Your age
- History of no claims
- Make and model of your van
- Your address
- Where you park the van at home (on the road, driveway, garage etc…)
- What you use the van for (domestic and social use only, delivering goods for work, taking tools to work etc.)
- Annual mileage
If you are already an RAC member then you can expect to save an average of £153 on your van insurance.
RAC also claim that 10% of their customers pay less than £174 per year for van insurance.
* 10% of all customers buying Van Insurance with us from 1st January 2018 to 30th June 2018 paid less than £195. Based on policies purchased direct, excluding any additional products and upgrades, with payment on an annual basis. Your premium will depend on your circumstances and the level of cover you choose.
** Based on sales from 1st January 2018 to 30th June 2018 of RAC Van Insurance, purchased direct, excluding any additional products, upgrades and finance fee. Your premium will depend on your circumstances and the level of cover you choose.