Swinton car insurance review
5 star Defaqto rating
Fully comprehensive cover as standard
Simplified range of products
Swinton car insurance products
Swinton insurance is an insurance provider based in the UK, and it was established in 1957. As well as offering their popular car insurance policies, they offer motorbike, home and business insurance.
Swinton offers a clear and simple route to buying car insurance, providing customers with the choice of three fully comprehensive policies.
Swinton has over 60 years of experience in the car insurance industry and takes pride in the simplicity of the insurance products available.
What cover do they offer?
Unlike other car insurance providers, Swinton does not offer third party insurance or third party, fire and theft insurance policies.
In an attempt to simplify their insurance offering, Swinton has limited their products to three fully comprehensive car insurance packages:
- Swinton Essentials car insurance
- Swinton Classic car insurance
- Swinton Premier car insurance
What is comprehensive car insurance?
Having comprehensive car insurance means that, in the event of an accident in which you were at fault, you are covered for both your own vehicle and the vehicle of any third parties.
You will also be covered for any accidental damage done to your vehicle and any damage sustained by your vehicle when the authorities are unable to identify the culprit.
Swinton Essentials car insurance
Swinton Essentials is Swinton’s cheapest available car insurance policy. It is a fully-comprehensive policy, but it does come with some exclusions.
A Swinton Essentials car insurance policy offers cover for:
- Damage to your vehicle in an accident
- Damage to your vehicle caused by fire or theft
- Driving other vehicles (cover is limited to third party insurance)
- Costs of emergency medical treatment if you have an accident
- Repairs to your vehicle
- Your built-in technology (eg. Stereo or sat-nav)
- A courtesy car while yours is being repaired
You also get the option to pay for upgrades to your policy, such as adding windscreen cover or up to £100,000 of legal protection.
Find out more: What is Motor Legal Protection and is it worth it?
Swinton Classic car insurance
Swinton Classic car insurance is a mid-range comprehensive car insurance policy, offering all of the benefits that come with a Swinton Essentials policy as well as a few extras:
- Windscreen cover at no extra cost
- Up to £100,000 of legal protection at no extra cost
- An uninsured driver promise, refunding excess and protecting your no claims bonus if hit by an uninsured driver
- Cover for driving your vehicle abroad
- Cover for locks, child seats and personal belongings
Swinton Premier car insurance
Swinton Premier car insurance is the most expensive of Swinton’s car insurance products, offering their most comprehensive level of cover.
It includes everything listed under Swinton Essentials and Swinton Classic car insurance, as well as:
- A refund on your excess of up to £500 if you make an at-fault claim
- A hire vehicle for up to 2 weeks if yours is written off or stolen
- Up to £2,500 of cover for misfuelling
Swinton temporary car insurance
Swinton also offers short-term car insurance on behalf of Temporary Cover Limited, providing customers with insurance for between 1 and 28 days.It comes with fully comprehensive cover as standard and without risk to your no-claims discount.
You can find out more about temporary car insurance here.
Swinton offers a couple of optional extras on all of their car insurance policies. These include:
- A protected no-claims bonus – pay extra to protect your no-claims discount for up to two claims.
- Swinton breakdown cover – provided by AXA, pay extra for peace of mind while on the road with breakdown cover.
- Excess protection – included as standard with a Swinton Premier policy, you’ll be reimbursed for up to £500 in excess if you’re unable to claim it back from a third party insurer.
Read more: What is excess insurance?
How much does Swinton car insurance cost?
Like with any other type of insurance policy, your insurance premium will be specific to you and your circumstances.
The cost of your Swinton car insurance premium will be calculated based on:
- Your age
- Your driving history
- Your postcode
- Your profession
- Your estimated mileage
- The make and model of your car
- Where you keep your car overnight
It is difficult to give specific costs, but for more information on how to keep your premiums low, read Bobatoo's guide: 10 Tips and Tricks for Cutting Costs on Your Car Insurance
Swinton car insurance online reviews
See below for the ratings of Swinton car insurance left by customers on an array of customer review sites.
|Review company||Rating (out of 5)|
|Smart Money People||3.5|
For reviews of some of the best UK car insurance providers, head over to Bobatoo’s car insurance reviews page here.
Can I get a better deal on car insurance elsewhere?
When renewing your car insurance, staying loyal to your insurance provider could potentially cost you hundreds of pounds.
Cheap car insurance with Bobatoo
Bobatoo works closely with some of the UK’s best insurance companies with the aim of finding customers the best possible deal on their car insurance.
To get your free, non-obligatory quote on your car insurance, click the green button below.