All you need to know about short-term, temporary home insurance

A couple in their home with their dog

While home insurance isn’t strictly a legal requirement in the UK, it is something that you’ll probably want to invest in to ensure that your home is well protected. Many mortgage providers will require you to have a home insurance policy in place in order to offer you a mortgage. 

You should also know that if your home is left empty for more than 30 days at a time, you should take out short term unoccupied house insurance to keep your home and its contents safe and protect against potential burglaries or any other incidents occuring while your home is unoccupied.

Whether you’re looking for home insurance for three months, or you just want to know more about short term home insurance between exchange and completion or short term contents insurance for tenants, take a look out our comprehensive guide to temporary home insurance below.

How does short-term home insurance work?

If your home is left unoccupied for more than 30 days at a time, most insurance companies won’t cover you if you need to make a claim due to an incident occuring in that time that results in a claim needing to be made.

Therefore, you should consider taking out short term home insurance during that time to keep your home and your possessions protected during the time of unoccupancy.

You might like: A guide to renewing your home insurance

Get a Quote

When do I need short-term home insurance?

There may be several instances where your home is left unoccupied for more than 30 days, such as if you’re having renovation work done on your property, if you’re planning to move house and you’re living somewhere else temporarily or if you plan on renting out your house but it’s currently unoccupied while you’re waiting for new tenants to move in.

You can take out short term insurance for the period of time that you need, so even if it’s less than 30 days, it might still be worth taking out a policy to ensure you’re covered.

If your property is completely empty, then you will only likely need to take out short term building insurance, otherwise you’ll need both short term contents insurance and buildings insurance if you want to ensure that the house and its contents are protected.

How long is short-term temporary home insurance?

Short term temporary house insurance policies can start from as little as seven days, and then can cover your home in 3, 6, 9 or 12 month periods, depending on how long you need it for.

Can you insure your house for one month?

It is possible to insure your house for one month, so if you’re going on holiday for one month for example, or you’re waiting for building work to be done, then you can get cover to protect you and your home during this time.

Can I get home insurance for a week?

Similarly to getting short-term insurance for your home for one month, you can also get cover for as little as one week if you need to protect your home and all its content during that time.

Read more: How to get cheap home insurance

Is it illegal if you don’t have home insurance in the UK?

Buildings and contents insurance isn’t a legal requirement in the UK, but it is strongly advisable to have a policy in place to cover the cost of rebuilding your home (the purpose of buildings insurance) and to cover the cost of replacing the possessions in your home (the purpose of contents insurance).

How much does it cost to insure an unoccupied house for a short period of time?

The cost of unoccupied house insurance varies depending on the size and value of your home, your insurance provider, how much contents insurance you want to take out, plus much more.

According to MoneySupermarket, 1-14 days of temporary insurance for an unoccupied home costs an average of £140, 15-30 days costs £127, 31-45 days costs £146 and then it gradually increases the longer you have your policy.

Before you take out short-term home insurance, it’s a good idea to compare quotes from different providers to ensure that you get the best deal possible.

Get a Quote

Is unoccupied home insurance more expensive than standard cover?

While it’s not always the case, more often than not you’ll find that non-standard home insurance typically costs more than standard insurance. This is because as the home is left unoccupied, insurers deem it to be more at risk of things like burglaries, so the cost to insure the property will likely be more expensive to cover the cost of this potential risk.

How to keep the cost of short term home insurance down

Keeping the cost of temporary home insurance low is pretty similar to keeping the cost of standard home insurance low. Check out the list below for some of our top tips on how to keep insurance costs down:

  • Keep your home as secure as possible and consider adding additional security measures to your property such as alarms, additional locks and potentially even security cameras. If you do install extra locks to your property, you should check with the insurance provider that they conform to industry standards, otherwise your provider might not accept them as additional security measures under your policy.
  • Consider joining a neighbourhood watch scheme. While there’s no guarantee that being part of a neighbourhood watch scheme will drastically reduce the cost of your home insurance, it will show that you take the safety of your home seriously.
  • Consider raising the voluntary excess on your policy. Usually, the more voluntary excess you’re willing to pay, the cheaper your insurance premiums are. Just remember to only offer to pay what you’re actually able to afford for the excess.

Read more: A complete guide to insurance excess

What insurance companies offer short-term cover?

There are many insurance companies that offer specific short-term cover for unoccupied properties, check out some of the UK’s top providers below.

  • Adrian Flux
  • HomeProtect
  • Towergate Insurance
  • Nova Insurance
  • Admiral

Get a Quote

Related guides