Tesco car insurance review
Tesco Bank car insurance overview
To get a true picture of Tesco bank’s motor insurance service, here are some facts about the renowned company:
- Tesco Bank was established in 1997 and it was one of the first main supermarkets in the UK to open their own bank.
- Tesco Bank’s car insurance product was launched in 2002 and they now have more than 1.8 million customers.
- Tesco Bank has three call centres in the UK (Newcastle, Edinburgh and Glasgow) that are open every day of the week, so they’re always on hand to help.
- Tesco Bank’s comprehensive car insurance policy comes with a range of benefits, which you can read about below!
Tesco motor insurance products
Tesco Bank offers comprehensive car insurance for all drivers aged over 21 – which comes with a lot of features, particularly if you buy direct through Tesco insurance rather than via a comparison site.
Other car insurance reviews
As well as Tesco’s comprehensive car insurance policy, they also offer temporary and multi-car insurance for those who only need insurance for a couple of months, for example, or for people who own more than one vehicle. Getting a multi-car policy usually works out cheaper than getting individual policies.
For younger drivers (aged 17-25), Tesco insurance also offers a black box car insurance policy, another type of motor insurance that can help save you money on your premiums.
Comprehensive car insurance with Tesco
The full Tesco comprehensive policy has a host of policy features and optional extras. The main features and benefits of a Tesco car insurance policy include:
Uninsured driver promise
If you are hit by an uninsured driver, then Tesco won’t penalise you for it in terms of your no claims discount. Once they have all the details of the uninsured driver (vehicle make, model and registration number) they will reinstate your no claims discount (or bonus) and pay back your excess.
To learn more, read our guide: What to do if you are hit by an uninsured driver
Small courtesy car
A ‘small’ courtesy car will be made available to you while your car is being repaired – as long as it is being repaired by an approved repairer.
Note that a courtesy car will not be provided if your car has been written off, or if it has been stolen and not yet returned.
Tesco's car insurance policy will pay for the cost of replacing or repairing a broken or chipped windscreen, as well as for any scratches to the paintwork caused by broken glass.
Child car seat replacement
Something not all drivers think of when arranging car insurance, but this can be a massive money-saver.
Tesco will automatically replace any child seats that are fitted to the car at the time of an incident, even if there is no visible damage.
Cover for in-car entertainment
Includes cover for any sat-navs, telephones, entertainment equipment and stereos that are permanently fitted to the car.
EU cover for up to 90 days
Tesco car insurance offers cover for driving in the EU for a total of 90 days, so you don’t have to arrange any extra cover or pay more if you take your car on holiday.
24-hour accident helpline
Tesco have a 24-hour accident claims helpline based in the UK.
Personal possessions cover
Any personal possessions in the car covered up to £200 if they are lost or get damaged when in an accident.
You also get £100 of medical expenses cover to treat any injured person in your car following an accident.
Personal accident cover
In addition, Tesco car insurance offers up to £5,000 compensation for serious injury caused in an accident to you or your partner.
If you incur any costs while carrying on your journey after an accident, Tesco will reimburse you up to a total of £150.
Motor Legal Protection
With Tesco car insurance you also get Motor Legal Protection cover up to £100,000. This covers any legal costs and expenses if you have to make a claim for personal injury compensation after an accident.
As well as the above policy features that come as standard, Tesco also a host of optional extras you can add to your policy for an extra cost.
Tesco has paired up with the RAC to offer roadside breakdown cover, which can be extended to when you are driving in Europe.
Upgraded courtesy car
If the small courtesy car you get as standard is not big enough for you, you can upgrade to get a car that is similar in size to your own car.
Driver injury cover
You can also add driver injury cover for greater peace of mind, so if you or a named driver are injured while driving the car, regardless of whether the accident was your fault or a third party’s fault, you will be covered. Tesco car insurance offers a lump sum payout up to a limit which you can specify when taking out the policy - extra cover could help with things like treatment, rehabilitation etc. after a road traffic accident.
With Tesco’s extra Key Cover, you are not just covered if your car keys are stolen. Tesco Bank also offer cover if you lose your keys or even lock them inside of your car.
Tesco Black Box Insurance for young drivers
For young drivers who may be priced outside of Tesco’s comprehensive policy, Tesco Bank offer a black box car insurance policy which is designed for new drivers aged between 17 and 25.
Tesco’s Box Insurance involves having a small black box installed in your car which transmits data to Tesco about how, when and where you drive. This allows them to charge fluctuating premiums based on your driving habits – so the safer you drive, you the less you pay for your motor insurance with Tesco.
Tesco also offers bonus miles to Box policyholders as a reward for safe driving, so the better you drive, the more miles you are allowed to drive without incurring extra premium costs.
How much does Tesco car insurance cost?
As with all car insurance companies, the amount you pay in premiums for a Tesco car insurance policy will depend on a host of different factors, including:
- Your age
- Your no-claims bonus history
- The make and model of your car
- Your address
- Where you park the car at home (on the road, driveway, garage, etc.)
- What you use the car for (commuting, driving for work, etc.)
- Annual mileage
- Exclusions - some may be 'extra' or 'optional', and if you want that extra level of protection, the car insurance premiums will increase.
Who underwrites Tesco car insurance?
Tesco Bank car insurance is administered by Tesco Bank, however, the underwriting of the policies provided by Tesco is completed by a range of other insurers known as a panel.
This panel of insurers includes Tesco Underwriting, AXA UK, Aviva Insurance, Sabre Insurance and Zenith Insurance.
How to cancel Tesco car insurance - Can I cancel my Tesco car insurance policy?
Yes – and as long as you cancel your Tesco Policy within your 14-day cooling off period, it won't cost you a penny.
If it has been longer than 14 days since receiving your insurance documents, you will be charged a fee for cancelling your insurance – on the flip-side, you may get a pro-rata refund if you haven’t made a claim.
Tesco car insurance discount
If you have a Tesco Clubcard, you will be entitled to a discount on your car insurance premium – plus, if you’re a new Tesco Insurance customer, you will get 20% off when you purchase your car insurance online.
You can also choose to purchase your Tescos car insurance policy through a cashback site, with Quidco offering £50 cashback for new customers - you must join Quidco to take advantage of this.
For more about the best cashback sites and how they work, visit our guide here.
Tesco car insurance online reviews
Tesco Bank car insurance – Defaqto rating
Tesco’s car insurance has a 5-star Defaqto rating, meaning that it provides a comprehensive level of cover as well as additional features and benefits.
Tesco’s black box insurance policy only receives a 3-star rating from Defaqto.
Why choose Tesco Bank car insurance?
There are many advantages to choosing Tesco Bank as your car insurance provider:
- If you are a Clubcard member, you are guaranteed a discount on your car insurance premium.
- You can manage your car insurance policy online in ‘Your Insurance Account’ at any time of the day.
- If you’re a new customer with Tesco Bank, you can get a 20% discount if you buy a car insurance policy with them online.
- New customers can get £30 cashback on their new customer car insurance policy, as long as it’s genuine.
- If you need to make a claim on your car insurance with Tesco, they have a team on hand ready to help – they have a 24/7 claims helpline.
- Black box insurance is available for younger drivers (between 17 and 35) and can help save on your car insurance premiums.
- Defaqto (a finance comparison service) has rated Tesco Bank’s car insurance policies as 5-star.
- You will receive a small courtesy car if yours is being repaired after a valid claim.
- Tesco Bank provides in-car entertainment equipment cover with their car insurance policy.
- RAC breakdown cover is an optional extra, with four different levels of cover to choose from.
- Uninsured driver promise available, depending on your motor insurance policy’s terms and conditions.
Tesco car insurance contact details – how to get in touch with Tesco and get a quote
For any queries you may have about your existing policy, or if you're new to Tesco's car insurance services, you can contact them on: 0345246 car insurance on: 03452462895.
You can also contact them on Twitter (@TescoBankHelp) or message Tesco on Facebook Messenger.
Contact Tesco Bank today and they will compare their car insurance quotes suited to your needs to find the best policy for you!