The best car insurance companies not on comparison sites
The best and cheapest car insurance deals are not always available on UK comparison sites. Below, we run through the best car insurers that are not found on comparison websites in 2021.
LAST UPDATED: 24 AUGUST, 2021
Car insurance companies not on comparison websites
Although most car insurance companies can be found on some of the best, major comparison websites in the UK, such as GoCompare, Confused.com and MoneySuperMarket, some insurers choose to not list their policies on them.
As comparison sites, or 'aggregators', earn a commission for every policy they refer to an insurer, insurance companies that are not listed, are able to keep costs down by not paying commissions - and many pass these savings on to their customers in the form of cheaper car insurance premiums.
Below, we have listed the best car insurance companies that are not on comparison sites in 2021, based on the price of their quotes, the range of policies they offer and their reputation for customer service.
The best car insurance companies not on comparison sites:
|1||Direct Line||Keep your No Claims Bonus/Discount if your car is hit while parked, if there is damage caused by potholes, bad road maintenance, flooding, theft or you are hit by an animal/object.||Read review|
|2||Aviva||Cover for as little as £184 - save up to 20% online. 98.8% of car insurance claims were settled in 2020.||Read review|
|3||Admiral (Multi-car)||Admiral's MultiCar policies are not available on comparison sites. Drivers can save more than £200 on cover with MultiCar, and they can combine renewal dates to make life easier and earn discounts on each car the add to their policy.||Read review|
|4||Zurich||No excess to pay if you are hit by an uninsured driver, known as the uninsured driver promise. Zurich is not able to offer new quotes and policies for customers. For those who wish to get a quote and/or policy from Zurich, they will need to find a car insurance broker who works with Zurich.||Read review|
While you can compare quotes from over 100 car insurance companies online by using a comparison site, if you want to make sure you are getting the best price, it's also recommended that you get a quote directly from each of the above insurers too, as you won't see their policies on car insurance comparison sites.
Below, we take a closer look at each of the above car insurance companies not on comparison sites and what policies and benefits they have to offer their customers.
Direct Line Car Insurance
Direct Line makes it clear that the company is not on comparison sites, especially on their TV adverts, and differentiates itself from other car insurance companies by offering unique benefits to their customers who have fully comprehensive cover.
These include their promise to protect your No Claims Discount if your car is hit while parked, with no third party to make a claim against, in addition to other situations like damage due to theft, potholes or flood damage.
They also offer a guaranteed hire car for up to 21 days in a row while your car is being repaired after an accident, as well as 'Onward Travel' - which means they will pay your taxi fare to get you to your destination if you have an accident.
All of Direct Line's car insurance policies have been given a 5-star rating by Defaqto. See full details of Direct Line's most popular car insurance policies below...
Comprehensive car insurance
Here are some of the main circumstances for which you'll be covered with Direct Line's fully comp policy (please visit their website to see them all):
- Fair claim commitment - As well as being hit while parked, your No Claims Discount will be protected if your car is ever damaged by potholes, theft from your car, flood damage, hit by an animal or debris.
- Vandalism promise - The No Claims protection also extends to any claim you make for vandalism damage to your car.
- Used car replacement - If your car is written off in an accident, then you can choose to either get a like-for-like replacement, a cash settlement or you can pay the difference to get an upgrade.
- Uninsured driver promise - Direct Line will repay your excess and reinstate your No Claims Discount when it is confirmed that your accident was caused by an uninsured driver.
- Fire and theft - You get financial protection if your car is damaged by a fire, lightning or an explosion - or if it is damaged by an attempted theft.
- Damage to third party - If you are at fault for an accident that causes damage to a third party's car or property, or if you injure someone, then you will be covered for any financial losses.
- In-car equipment cover - Direct Line gives you unlimited cover for your in-car audio, TV, navigation and telephone equipment.
- 24/7 emergency helpline - Direct Line's emergency claims helpline is open all the time
Direct Line also offers a Comprehensive Plus policy, which comes with bigger limits and insurance extras.
Direct Line DrivePlus - Black box car insurance for young drivers
For younger drivers, Direct Line offers its own black box car insurance policy called DrivePlus, which comes with an app for drivers to check out their 'driving score'.
This involves Direct Line putting a small telematics device in your car that tracks your driving behaviour, such as your speed, what time of the day you tend to drive, whether or not your driving is smooth (harsh braking, etc) and if you use your mobile phone while driving. The better you driver, the more money you'll save on your premiums.
Some of the benefits of choosing Direct Line for black box insurance include:
- Upfront discount for your first year: If you've just passed your test, are under 25 or if you are a new Direct Line customer, you will get an upfront discount on your policy for your first year.
- Easy installation: Direct Line uses a small 'plug-in' device that requires no tools or specialist installation.
- Regular feedback: Receive direct emails and updates on your performance.
- DrivePlus app: Download the app for free and keep track of all your journeys, telematics data and driver score.
Direct Line - Multi-car insurance discount
If there's more than one car at your UK address, then you could bag further discounts with Direct Line's cheaper multi-car insurance discount offer.
Rather than a standard multi-car insurance policy, this offers discounts for every policy you add, but with the following benefits:
- No Claims Discount (NCD): The policies are not combined into one, so if one of the cars is involved in an accident and a claim is made, the NCD on the other cars will not be affected.
- Renewal date: Most multi-car policies combine the different renewal dates for each car into one date. While this can make it more convenient, it also means you get hit with the expense at the same time each year. With Direct Line's multi-car discount offer, each car still has its own individual renewal date.
- View discounts before you purchase: As you add one car at a time to your car insurance policy, you can see the potential savings you could make before deciding to purchase.
- Register online: All UK policyholders can register their account and view their car insurance documents online.
In addition to the above policies, Direct Line also has bespoke cover available for electric vehicles (EVs).
Aviva Car Insurance
Not being on comparison sites enables Aviva to offer very competitive car insurance prices.
Aviva's comprehensive motor insurance cover starts at £184 (10% of their customers pay this cheapest rate), and their policies have been given 5 stars by Defaqto.
They also offer a discount if you buy a car insurance policy with them online - depending on individual circumstances - which applies to almost a third of their customers.
Aviva's comprehensive policy includes
- Uninsured driver cover
- Vehicle recovery
- Cover for driving other cars.
See full details of Aviva's car insurance policies below, or read our full review of Aviva car insurance here.
Comprehensive car insurance
- Uninsured driver cover - You are covered if you are involved in a car accident with an uninsured driver that was not your fault.
- Vehicle recovery - Aviva will aim to make your vehicle roadworthy again with roadside repairs, or cover you for up to £150 towards public transport or accommodation costs.
- Driving other cars cover - If you are aged over 25, you can be covered to drive other cars on your Aviva policy.
- Earn a no claims bonus on each insured vehicle.
- Cover for any loss, damage or theft.
- Cover for legal costs that arise in the event of an accident.
- Motor injury protection - if you, your partner and any named drivers sustain a serious injury or die after a car accident.
Third Party, Fire and Theft
- Damage to your vehicle - You are covered for loss or damage to your car caused by theft, attempted theft or fire.
- Vehicle recovery - If damaged by fire or theft, Aviva will protect and recover your vehicle.
- Legal costs - Your legal costs will be covered if you are involved in an accident.
Aviva UK - Multi-Car insurance policies
Aviva also offers a MultiCar policy that enables customers to combine insurance for multiple cars and vans all into one policy, making cover more affordable and your policies easier to manage.
Insuring all your vehicles under one policy means you have just one renewal date to remember, and they offer a 10% discount for each vehicle you add (up to a total of up to five). Getting an Aviva quote for a multi-car policy generally works out cheaper than getting individual car insurance policies for each vehicle.
Each vehicle under the multi-car insurance policy will earn its own No Claims Discount, too - meaning that a claim on one vehicle doesn't affect the others - and you can set different levels of cover and excess for each of the vehicles.
Aviva Drive (telematics/black box policy)
Aviva customers who choose to use their Drive app can get discounts of up to 28% on a comprehensive motor insurance policy.
Aviva Drive works similarly to black box insurance policies, as it involves tracking your driving - how safely you drive, whether you drive at speeds over the permitted limits and ultimately, whether or not you should be classed as a higher risk to insurers.
Those who get a good score on the app can save an average of £170 per year and get cheaper premiums on their UK car insurance policy, making it a great option for young drivers who typically face very high premiums.
Aviva highly recommends the use of a dash cam, as this can make it much easier for you to explain anything that happens on the road - especially if you are ever involved in an incident such as a road traffic accident. Aviva offers a discount on your policy and a dashcam with their Aviva Drive app. If you are planning on getting a dash cam, make sure that it is one that will be approved by Aviva.
Once you've downloaded the Aviva Drive app, you can start tracking your driving right away, and once you've done 200 miles, you will get a score out of 10 for your driving. The higher the score, the bigger the saving you could make and the cheaper your car insurance premiums could be.
When comparing car insurance quotes with different companies, make sure you ask about any potential discounts with the company directly, as you may not come across them on comparison sites - especially if you want to go with Aviva as they do not show their details on car insurance comparison sites.
Admiral Car and Motor Insurance - Multi-Car Cover
While you can find a standard Admiral car insurance policy on most UK comparison sites, if you want one of their Multi-Car policies, you will not come across them - you have to buy directly from Admiral if you want to save money on car cover by insuring more than one vehicle on one policy. You can do this by visiting their website here.
If you have more than one car at your home address, you can insure them all under the same Admiral multi-car insurance policy.
Every car you add to the policy earns its own discount, and Admiral says that 10% of their multi-car customers have saved the maximum £239 on their car insurance.
Each of the cars gets their own No Claims Bonus, and you just have one renewal date for all the cars at your home address, saving you money and making life easier.
For a cheap and comprehensive multi-car insurance quote with Admiral, make sure you visit their website directly. For standard car insurance with Admiral, however, check out their deals on comparison sites like GoCompare.
Zurich is currently not offering new car insurance policies or quotes, so if you wish to get a policy with them, you will need to find an insurance broker that works with them and offers their deals. Visit the British Insurance Broker website for more details.
The main benefit of choosing Zurich as your car insurer, rather than going through a UK comparison site, is that you can tailor your car insurance policy so that it's suited to you.
With Zurich, you get great policy features and benefits such as:
- No excess if you are hit by an uninsured driver
- Three years guarantee on repairs when carried out by an approved repairer
- Courtesy car when using an approved repairer
- 24-hour UK-based accident claims helpline and call centre
You can then 'tailor your policy' to suit your needs by choosing from a wide range of policy extras - any of which can be added at any time during your policy.
It is important to note that you will not be shown these beneficial, optional extras on car insurance comparison sites:
- Legal cover - up to £100,000 worth of cover in legal representation for all named drivers on your policy in the event of an accident that's not your fault.
- Personal accident cover - up to £30,000 for you or your passengers in the event of death, loss of limbs or damage to sight or hearing following an accident in your car or while getting into or out of it.
- Hire car - get a replacement car for up to 21 days if your car is written-off or stolen and not recovered.
- Excess protection - this covers the reimbursement of a policy excess you have to pay following an accident. For more information about this, read our page on Excess Insurance here.
- Protected no claims discount - if you protect your no-claims discount, you could make up to two claims in five years without affecting it.
- Key cover - up to £2,500 lock and key replacement for your car, home and office. Locksmith charges are included.
- Breakdown cover - this extra feature gets you four types of breakdown cover with roadside assistance if you're more than a quarter of a mile from home - provided by the RAC.