Can you get car insurance for the weekend only?
If you are planning a weekend break, borrowing a car or van from a friend to move house or just need the use of a car to visit family, you may want to buy temporary car insurance that just covers you for the weekend.
Weekend car insurance can be arranged quickly and easily online, meaning you get more time to focus on your weekend plans.
Temporary car insurance is available so motorists can get cover to drive for anywhere between 1-28 days, with some insurance companies even providing temporary cover for up to 3 months.
Why you might need weekend car insurance
There are many reasons why you might need to buy car insurance just for the weekend. These could include:
- Borrowing someone else’s car for a trip
- Borrowing a car while yours is being repaired
- Taking out a classic car for the weekend only
- Borrowing a car or van to move house
- Borrowing a car or van to go to University
- Sharing driving duties with someone else on a long trip
Whatever the reason, weekend car insurance means you don’t have to tackle the arduous task of trying to amend your annual car insurance policy, or being added as a named driver on the car owner’s policy and then taken off again after the weekend.
Taking out a policy to only cover you for 1 or 2 days means you are only paying for the cover you need, and not forking out for unnecessary long-term cover.
How quickly can you get weekend car insurance?
As many people who need short-term car insurance often need it in a hurry, you can buy car insurance for the weekend in a matter of minutes. To get a quote and to take out a policy, you will typically need the details of the car you wish to be insured on (registration number, make and model etc.), the exact length of time you want to be covered for and your full details (name, address, contact details, driving licence number etc.)
As with all forms of temporary car insurance, some insurance companies may have certain limitations on who can take out a policy. Depending on the insurer, you could be required to:
- be aged between 18 and 75
- hold a full, valid UK driving licence
- have a permanent address
- have permission from the vehicle owner to drive it
- have had no more than 1 fault claim in the last 12 months
- have had no more than 9 penalty points and no disqualifications in the last 12 months
- have had no driving offences in the last 3 years starting with the code DR, CD, DD, UT or DG
- have had no driving offences in the last 6 months starting with the code IN or CU80
- not have any unspent criminal convictions (other than driving offences)
- have never been refused insurance or had a policy cancelled
As well as some eligibility criteria regarding the driver, some insurance companies may also impose certain restrictions on the type of vehicle they will cover for the weekend.
Depending on the insurer, the vehicle might be required to:
- be registered in the UK
- have a current market value less than £75,000
- have no more than 8 seats in total
- not be a hire or rental vehicle
- not be leased under an agreement of 12 months or less
- not be a seized vehicle or in a police compound
- not have any engine modifications, body kits or alloy wheels – unless they were carried out for a disabled driver or passenger, or they were fitted at manufacture or were manufacturer optional extras
- not be imported from another country through channels other than the maker’s official distribution system
- not be a heavy goods vehicle (HGV)
- not be over 3.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight (GVW)
- have an engine size of 3999c or less
To get a short-term car insurance quote just for the weekend, simply tap the button below to get started.